Exploring Cosmetic Dentistry Procedures

« Back to Home

Dental Issues to Have Resolved by a Pediatric Dentist

Posted on

Your child may eventually have problems with their teeth or gums. If these particular issues are happening, a great way to respond is to get your child booked to see a pediatric dentist. Then they'll receive the appropriate treatment as quickly as possible.

Chipped Tooth

Children like to play a lot outside and that exposes them to accidents every now and then. If your child experiences one that ultimately chips their tooth, you need to have it looked at by a pediatric dentist. They can get a better sense of the damage and help take care of any pain your child may be feeling.

They can fix the chipped tooth with a procedure known as bonding, which places a resin material around the chipped portion and forms it until the tooth looks whole again. Your child then won't have to go around in public with a permanently damaged tooth.

Sensitive Teeth

It's natural for your child to have sensitive teeth every now and then. However, if it's chronic, then you should book an appointment with a pediatric dentist just to see what's potentially going on. It could be a cavity, for instance, that's causing sensitivity around a particular area.

A pediatric dentist will be able to find out for sure thanks to their insights, equipment, and years of training. If a cavity has formed, they can remove the decayed tooth portion and cover gaps with a filling. They can also give your child medication to make the sensitivity not so bad going forward.

Canker Sores

Canker sores are basically lesions that can develop around your child's gums. They can cause pain and prevent your child from doing things normally like talking and eating. If the pain has become unbearable for your child, then you should have them visit a pediatric dentist. 

Often times with canker sores, they'll prescribe medication to help alleviate them quickly. They'll also check to make sure an infection hasn't occurred just to be safe so that you can have peace of mind after leaving their dental office.

If your child ever has dental issues they struggle with for more than a couple of days, you need to respond by getting them seen by a pediatric dentist—such as at New England Dental Specialists of Norwood. Then they can receive a thorough evaluation and the appropriate treatment that lets them go on with their life as they normally would.